Thursday, October 06, 2005

Good Question

Today we went to RJC for a "intelligent behaviours" talk and I must applaud the speaker for being able to catch my attention(rare isn't it). Actually other than the interesting content about mudskippers, the thing that really kept me awake is his accent. He's a Hong Konger man! I can tell straight away when he speaks. The Hong Konger's accent. I find it real cool after I watched Russell Peter. Hey hey hey, who can do the hong konger's accent better than a hong konger himself?

He emphasized so much about the importance of asking questions that I just can't help but to ask a question too. Furthermore I agree with what he says abt education and creativity- parents shld not ask their kids"What have u learned today?" but rather "What good questions have u asked today?" So I stood up and asked,"Sir, am I rite to say that creativity is much about breaking free from conventional thinkings and traditional mindsets?" Assuming that he agrees with this statement, I continued:"Then in that case, if school is restricting our creativity through a collective education system whereby we are forced to conform, do you think that we should, with persistence, originality and a sense of humour(these three elements are mentioned in his presentation), rebel against the education system when the need arises in order to defend our creativity and flexibility of thinking?"

Before I could finish my sentence, the LT was already filled with applause. The response is so great that I couldn't even finish my question man. I knew it. There are so many out there who feel the same way as I do, just that there's apathy present in the school community. In this kind of situation, u seriously need a rebel.

He, of course, did not dare to confront my question directly. He either contradicts himself or he offends the school. So the answer he provided was not important. One teacher came along and told me later that I'm not talking any sense, but is he then? It's obvious through his reaction to my question that he did not absorb anything from the entire presentation at all. Regarding my question as nonsensical is precisely a proof of how our teachers are being bounded by conventional mindsets and thinkings. How does one expect to improve if he finds nothing wrong with himself? Shunning students' feedbacks aside will only cause the downfall of the education system one day.

Rebel.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home